We’re pleased to offer a free digital marketing consultation. Call today, (303) 357-5757, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is WordPress?
Simply put, WordPress is one of the most popular ways to create a website or blog. WordPress is used by individuals, large businesses, and everyone in between — including DBC Digital. In fact, WordPress powers over 30% of all the websites on the Internet. So that means more than one in four websites that you visit are likely WordPress sites, including: Whitehouse.gov, Microsoft’s “News Center” blog, and The Walt Disney Company.
If we’re getting more technical, then WordPress is defined as an open-source content management system (CMS) licensed under GPLv2. This means that anyone can use or modify the WordPress software for free. A content management system is basically a tool that makes it easy to manage the important aspects of your website (like its content) without needing to have any programming knowledge.
Why choose WordPress?
Now that you have an understanding of what WordPress is, let’s explore why it’s a good choice for your business.
- Popular. As we mentioned earlier, WordPress is popular with over 75 million websites using it, and about 35 million sites hosted on WordPress.com. There is no more popular content management system (CMS) than WordPress.
- Ecommerce. WordPress is an excellent ecommerce option. Adding an online store to your site will cost you extra on pretty much all site builders. However, it’s free on WordPress with WooCommerce.
- Open-source. WordPress is an open-source technology, meaning anyone, anywhere can use, study, change and redistribute its source code. So there are tens of thousands of site themes available (if not more). WordPress’ official page has over 290 themes just by itself.
- Secure and safe. Another reason why WordPress is a great option is the security measures the WordPress developers take to preserve the trust of its users. The WordPress staff is constantly updating the CMS, along with the plugs-ins (software that can be added to a WordPress website for additional features) that integrate with it.
- Integration. WordPress integrates with many popular 3rd-party platforms to make your website current. Plenty of plugins exist that let you easily send out email campaigns and newsletters. Also, there are plugins that allow you to accept credit card payments for an ecommerce site. Basically, you can find plugins for just about every kind of function you want to add to your site.
- Multi-user capability. The developer doesn’t have to be the only individual running your website because WordPress makes it simple to assign different access roles for different people. Here are some of the roles the plugin, “WordPress Codex”, provides:
- Super Admin – has total access to website features.
- Administrator – has access to administration features.
- Editor – can publish their own posts and approve or remove the posts of others users.
- Author – can manage and publish their own posts.
- Contributor – can manage and write their own posts but must rely on administrator to approve them.
- Subscriber – can view and edit their own profile (essentially, a user with their own account).
- Keeps improving. Thanks to its open source coding and innovative developers, WordPress keeps improving as the years go by. Whether the WordPress staff are adding new features, developers are creating new plugins, or coders have programmed new features to customize your site, the CMS keeps evolving for the better.
Why Hire an Expert?
Now that you understand the benefits a WordPress site provides, let’s take a look at why having someone help with the website creation might be right for you.
You May Need a Custom Theme
Employing a developer enables you to build a theme to your exact specifications while ensuring a completely unique design. It lets you stand out from the competition, yet frees you up to focus on running your site rather than customizing it.
If you take a tour of the WordPress theme directory or premium theme marketplace, you will find there are countless high-quality themes available for you to use immediately. However, if you find that these options come close but don’t quite deliver what you need, you may want to use a custom theme instead.
While going the custom route may add time and expense to your plans, it is definitely worth contemplating if you know exactly what you want for your site.
A custom theme offers several benefits, since it:
- Is precisely the visual appeal and functionality you need.
- Removes the bloat of options that you won’t use.
- Lets you have a say in the quality during every step of the development process.
While creating your own WordPress theme is a great option to level-up your skills, it can be a timely process. So if you’re short on time or simply more interested in focusing on your site’s content rather than the code, hiring a developer will allow you to get your ideal theme without a steep learning curve.
Search engines remain one of the best sources of online traffic. A high-ranking page can bring in thousands of visitors to any web presence. For that reason, pretty much every website owner is ideally concerned with SEO (search engine optimization). For starters, even just using WordPress is already putting you ahead in the SEO game. In fact, some would argue that WordPress is the best CMS for SEO and we at DBC Digital believe there is merit to this view. Many individuals often believe that SEO is an easy task and can be done on one’s own. But, there are many aspects of SEO that only an expert can handle. SEO involves different kinds of tools and methods that you may not be well aware of, no matter how accustomed to the internet you may be. You might not be able to use and execute SEO techniques correctly for the best results.
Save time and make money. Successful business owners must be hardworking, innovative, resourceful, and smart. So if you’re reading this blog, most likely these characteristics apply to you. You are more than capable of building your own website. Yes, we believe in you. But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Building a website that “wows” and leaves an impression takes time. Successful business owners also know when to delegate duties so they can put their efforts towards growing the business. When it comes to creating a website — take your own advice. Do what you do best and for everything else, hire experts to do what they do best.
So how will you use WordPress? Please know DBC Digital is here to help. Let’s start a discussion today.
DBC Digital is a full-service digital marketing company that provides everything you need to run successful content marketing campaigns. We’re located in the Denver metro area, just south of the Denver Tech Center, near I-25 and Dry Creek Road. We provide marketing services for businesses and organizations throughout the United States.